Participation House, Durham has several locations that are home to more than 34 people in Durham Region. Residents receive a wide range of services through Supported Independent Living Units, Group Homes and Residential Services.
Supported Independent Living (SIL)
Individuals live in their apartment or house and receive limited staff support to increase their independent living skills including cooking, budgeting, housekeeping and grocery shopping.
- Individual care completed on a booking basis and according to the needs of each individual
- Support service staff assist with all aspects of daily personal care i.e. helping people into and out of bed, showers, meal preparation and feeding, laundry and light house cleaning
- Life skills instructors available to assist with budgeting, banking, meal planning, home management skills, accessing community services and providing resources
- Individual apartments designed for persons with physical disabilities and are completely wheelchair accessible
24 hour, non-medical support to individuals in fully accessible homes. Individuals are supported to direct their own care with personal needs, activities, nutrition, transportation and recreation. Staff assists to ensure their physical, emotional, social, and medical needs are addressed through active participation in the community based on their identified goals and dreams.
- Supervisor at the group homes
- 24-hour attendant care at each location providing all aspects of personal care
- Meals, housekeeping and laundry services are provided
- Dietician available for consultation
- Assistance with personal taxation requirements for all residents and community clients